Entering its tenth season, Formula DRIFT is recognized as North American's professional drifting championship series. As the first official series in North America, Formula DRIFT has taken competitive motorsports to the extreme, attracting fans and car enthusiasts from all walks of life and establishes itself as the worldwide leader for the Sport. This high-skilled, high-powered motor sport where drivers intentionally maneuver their cars into well executed, controlled sideways slides at high speeds through a marked course, has professional drivers & teams competing in seven championship competitions in 2011.
Judged on execution and style, rather than who finishes the course in the fastest time, Drifting is a guaranteed crowd pleaser, and is often compared to the freestyle nature of skateboarding and motocross.
Formula DRIFT Fast Facts
- Created first ever drifting world championship; brought together 32 drivers, 17 past and present championship, from 12 nations, representing 12 series
- Created Formula Drift Asia Championship; first Pan-Asia professional championship
- Created Formula Drift Pro Am Affiliate Network; bridge together various regional level series, the "minor league" for Formula Drift
- 7-stop Championship Series travels across the United States
- 87% of Formula Drift Fans are between 18-34 years old
- Formula Drift is one of only a few sports to see a growth in attendance during the economic downturn in 2009 and 2010.
- FIRST drifting championship in the world to be sponsored by non-endemic companies such as EA Games
- FIRST drifting championship to have factory backed teams
- FIRST drifting championship in the world to have an official, sanctioned competition on city streets
- FIRST drifting championship to be aired on national cable & syndicated globally with a dedicated series of shows
- FIRST drifting championship to be filmed and featured in high definition
- FIRST drifting championship to be filmed and featured in 3D
- Formula Drift has the MOST diverse driver field (nationality, age and gender) of any drifting series in the world and field of competition cars (year, make and model) of any drifting series in the world
- Responsible for holding the MOST professional drifting events than anyone in North America
- Held the HIGHEST attended drifting event ever