Formula DRIFT Round 6: Showdown Results;
Fredric Aasbo is Victorious at Texas Motor Speedway
Long Beach, Calif. – September 14, 2014 – Formula DRIFT for the second consecutive year returned to Texas Motor Speedway for Round 6: Showdown. Fredric Aasbo in the Hankook Tire / Scion Racing tC takes his second victory of the season.
Round 6: Showdown held at Texas Motor Speedway brought professional drifting to Texas for the second consecutive year. The event featured the Round 2 of the PRO 2 series, Offset Kings car show, and action from the Pro Championship. The weather held up on the main event day providing clear skies and cool temperatures.
“The dramatic finish to this event has set-up a close battle between Fredric Aasbo and Chris Forsberg for the championship as we head into Round 7 at Irwindale Speedway,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The finale has always been an action packed event with drivers leaving it all on the line and we are excited to see how the championship chase unfolds.”
The final four pitted number one qualifier, Forrest Wang in the Get Nuts Lab / Hankook / STR Racing Nissan S14 against Odi Bakchis in the Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX. After a One More Time battle, Wang out drove Bakchis to secure his second career podium to finish in third place. Point leader, Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z faced Hankook Tire teammate, Fredric Aasbo. Forsberg contacted Aasbo on his chase run to give Aasbo the advantage and ultimately the win moving him into the Finals. The Finals pitted Aasbo and Bakchis. In the second run, Bakchis spun out giving Aasbo the event victory. Aasbo closed the point gap heading into the final event of the season with 26 points separating him from Forsberg as they head into the final event of the 2014 season.
“This victory is for my team, for Scion, and for Hankook. This might feel like the weirdest victory ever as people took themselves out, but I’ll take it and will see everyone in Irwindale,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Round 6: Showdown. “My Hankook Tire teammate, Chris Forsberg and I have been battling it out all year and we are right where we want to be. We are right behind him and he has all the pressure on him. Irwindale is going to be a killer event.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship season continues to Round 7: Final Fight at Irwindale Speedway on October 10-11. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift and Twitter @FormulaDrift.
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After Six Rounds
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 493.00 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 467.00 Points
3. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 359.50 Points
4. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 328.00 Points
5. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 293.00 Points
6. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 280.50 Points
7. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 259.50 Points
8. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 257.50 Points
9. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper SRT 252.00 Points
10. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 213.00 Points
11. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 211.50 Points
12. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300 208.50 Points
13. Gushi, Ken GReddy Performance / Scion Racing Drift FR-S 192.50 Points
14. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro / Mobil 1 Chevrolet Camaro 188.50 Points
15. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 183.50 Points
16. DeNofa, Chelsea BC Racing / Nitto Tire BMW 3-Series 172.50 Points
Round 6: Showdown Event Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC Winner
2. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 2nd Place
3. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Six Rounds
1. Scion 725.00 Points
2. Nissan 636.00 Points
3. Ford 619.00 Points
4. Chevy 400.00 Points
5. BMW 356.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After Six Rounds
1. Hankook 962.50 Points
2. Nitto 748.50 Points
3. Achilles 647.00 Points
4. Falken 592.50 Points
5. Maxxis 347.00 Points
Ready to Drift: Scion Racing Prepares For Season’s Final Formula DRIFT Showdowns
Last High-Powered Events in Fort Worth, Texas, and Irwindale, California, to Bring Out Thousands of Fans
Long Beach, Calif. – September 9, 2014 – With the Formula DRIFT podium in reach for Scion Racing, drivers Fredric Aasbo and Ken Gushi are revving up their engines for the final two rounds. Round 6 will take place Sept. 12-13 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas, and Round 7 on Oct. 10-11 at Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, California.
In the highly competitive Formula DRIFT field, 2014 Hankook tC driver Aasbo emerged as a fierce competitor this year, currently holding second place. In addition, 2014 GReddy FR-S driver Gushi ranks in 14th place, after both drivers fought to overcome challenges on the track throughout the season.
“With a little luck, a very competitive tC vehicle and a lot of hard work from the team, it’s been a really successful ride this season,” Aasbo said. “For the final event at Irwindale Speedway, we will increase the power and really push the limits to end the season strong. Hopefully with a win!”
The Irwindale Speedway holds the title “House of Drift” for its role popularizing the racing style. The event is expected to draw more than 15,000 fans from around the region. Both in Texas and California, drivers will face demanding tracks and hot temperatures that require vehicle adjustments.
“There’s nothing quite like the challenge and adrenaline of these final two races, and I’m looking forward to giving fans a show,” Gushi said. “Every race this season has put our team to the test, and I can’t wait to take the FR-S out to finish it right.” Fans attending the final Formula DRIFT rounds can anticipate Scion Racing on-site. The limited edition FR-S Release Series 1.0 vehicle will be at Irwindale Speedway to showcase its unique racing-inspired features, including a custom-designed aero kit with a rear spoiler.
“These final two Formula DRIFT rounds will challenge Frederic Aasbo and Ken Gushi while capping off an extremely successful Scion Racing season,” said Landy Joe, Scion auto shows and special events manager. “Anyone who wants to witness the capabilities of the Scion tC and FR-S in a new light should be in the crowd at Texas Motor Speedway or Irwindale Speedway.”
For more details about Scion Racing, visit www.ScionRacing.com for blog entries, photos and video content.
The second episode of Formula DRIFT showcases two of the biggest names in the sport, Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Fredric Aasbo. Both drivers are shooting for a championship, but in this installment we see what happens when the drivers head back to Road Atlanta, where the birth of their rivalry began
Formula DRIFT Round 5: Throwdown Results;
Darren McNamara Takes the Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – July 19, 2014 – Formula DRIFT returned to Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA for Round 5: Throwdown. Darren McNamara in the Falken Tire Nissan S14 takes his first victory of the season.
Round 5: Throwdown held at Evergreen Speedway showcased intense competition throughout the weekend. The weather held up for the capacity crowd as they were entertained by the action on track, the open paddock and Offset Kings car show.
“The competition has tightened up with only two events remaining this season,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “We can expect the final two rounds of the season to be as intense as ever. The drivers will be battling for every point possible.”
Number one qualifier, Darren McNamara faced fellow Irishman, Dean Kearney in the Oracle Lighting SRT Viper, in the finals. After a close battle, McNamara was able to take the win for his first victory of the season. This also marks the first podium in Kearney’s career. Rounding out the podium in third place was current point leader, Chris Forsberg, in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z, for his fifth consecutive podium of the season.
“It’s nice to be back. It’s been a rough year,” said Darren McNamara, winner of Round 5: Throwdown. “We’ve had a few things to overcome, but we’re here. It’s been a flawless weekend and it’s hard to believe. I’m so happy, especially for the team.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship season continues to Round 6: Showdown at Texas Motor Speedway on September 12-13. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift and Twitter @FormulaD.
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After Five Rounds
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 421.50 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 362.50 Points
3. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 308.50 Points
4. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 275.50 Points
5. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 263.00 Points
6. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 243.50 Points
7. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 226.00 Points
8. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper SRT 215.50 Points
9. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300 191.00 Points
10. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 183.50 Points
11. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 176.50 Points
12. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 164.50 Points
13. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 162.00 Points
14. Gushi, Ken GReddy Performance X Scion Racing Drift FR-S 156.00 Points
15. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro 153.50 Points
16. Field, Matt CX Racing / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 153.00 Points
Round 5: Throwdown Event Results
1. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 Winner
2. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper SRT 2nd Place
3. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Five Rounds
1. Scion 569.50 Points
2. Ford 534.50 Points
3. Nissan 529.50 Points
4. Chevy 330.00 Points
5. BMW 299.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After Five Rounds
1. Hankook 784.00 Points
2. Nitto 613.00 Points
3. Achilles 574.00 Points
4. Falken 508.00 Points
5. Maxxis 246.50 Points