Formula DRIFT Round 6: Showdown Results;
Fredric Aasbo is Victorious at Texas Motor Speedway
Long Beach, Calif. – September 14, 2014 – Formula DRIFT for the second consecutive year returned to Texas Motor Speedway for Round 6: Showdown. Fredric Aasbo in the Hankook Tire / Scion Racing tC takes his second victory of the season.
Round 6: Showdown held at Texas Motor Speedway brought professional drifting to Texas for the second consecutive year. The event featured the Round 2 of the PRO 2 series, Offset Kings car show, and action from the Pro Championship. The weather held up on the main event day providing clear skies and cool temperatures.
“The dramatic finish to this event has set-up a close battle between Fredric Aasbo and Chris Forsberg for the championship as we head into Round 7 at Irwindale Speedway,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The finale has always been an action packed event with drivers leaving it all on the line and we are excited to see how the championship chase unfolds.”
The final four pitted number one qualifier, Forrest Wang in the Get Nuts Lab / Hankook / STR Racing Nissan S14 against Odi Bakchis in the Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX. After a One More Time battle, Wang out drove Bakchis to secure his second career podium to finish in third place. Point leader, Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z faced Hankook Tire teammate, Fredric Aasbo. Forsberg contacted Aasbo on his chase run to give Aasbo the advantage and ultimately the win moving him into the Finals. The Finals pitted Aasbo and Bakchis. In the second run, Bakchis spun out giving Aasbo the event victory. Aasbo closed the point gap heading into the final event of the season with 26 points separating him from Forsberg as they head into the final event of the 2014 season.
“This victory is for my team, for Scion, and for Hankook. This might feel like the weirdest victory ever as people took themselves out, but I’ll take it and will see everyone in Irwindale,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Round 6: Showdown. “My Hankook Tire teammate, Chris Forsberg and I have been battling it out all year and we are right where we want to be. We are right behind him and he has all the pressure on him. Irwindale is going to be a killer event.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship season continues to Round 7: Final Fight at Irwindale Speedway on October 10-11. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift and Twitter @FormulaDrift.
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After Six Rounds
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 493.00 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 467.00 Points
3. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 359.50 Points
4. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 328.00 Points
5. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 293.00 Points
6. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 280.50 Points
7. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 259.50 Points
8. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 257.50 Points
9. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper SRT 252.00 Points
10. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 213.00 Points
11. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 211.50 Points
12. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300 208.50 Points
13. Gushi, Ken GReddy Performance / Scion Racing Drift FR-S 192.50 Points
14. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro / Mobil 1 Chevrolet Camaro 188.50 Points
15. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 183.50 Points
16. DeNofa, Chelsea BC Racing / Nitto Tire BMW 3-Series 172.50 Points
Round 6: Showdown Event Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC Winner
2. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 2nd Place
3. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Six Rounds
1. Scion 725.00 Points
2. Nissan 636.00 Points
3. Ford 619.00 Points
4. Chevy 400.00 Points
5. BMW 356.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After Six Rounds
1. Hankook 962.50 Points
2. Nitto 748.50 Points
3. Achilles 647.00 Points
4. Falken 592.50 Points
5. Maxxis 347.00 Points
Formula DRIFT PRO 2 Round 3 at Texas Motor Speedway Results;
Brandon Wicknick Takes the Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – September 12, 2014 – Formula DRIFT PRO 2 continued the season at Texas Motor Speedway with the third of four rounds of competition. Brandon Wicknick in the Driftmotion D-Spare Nissan 2JZ S13 takes the victory.
PRO 2 continued today at Texas Motor Speedway. PRO 2 was introduced as an intermediary series between the Formula DRIFT Pro-Am and Pro Championship to help drivers get acclimated to the competition level and venues, while gaining valuable experience. As the first year of the PRO 2, drivers that are eligible include both licensed Pro-Am and Pro Championship drivers. Drivers were also given the option to compete in both PRO 2 and the Pro Championship.
The finals pitted Nate Hamilton in the One44 Motorsports / Enkei Nissan 240SX against Wicknick. Unfortunately, Hamilton’s vehicle had mechanical issues and was not able to make it to the line giving the victory to Wicknick. James Evans in the Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z rounded out the podium in third place.
“I’m really happy about winning. It’s been a long time coming,” said Brandon Wicknick, winner of Round 3 of PRO 2. “Obviously there were circumstances that lead up to the finals that weren’t ideal as I would of liked to fight harder for the win, but I can’t complain. I’m super happy and I’m proud of our team.”
With one event remaining in the inaugural PRO 2 season, less than 60 points separate the top five drivers in the chase for the PRO 2 championship. Currently, Geoff Stoneback is in the lead as the series heads into Irwindale Speedway for the finale.
“PRO 2 has added a new level of excitement to the event weekend,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The PRO 2 championship chase is and still up for grabs and Irwindale Speedway will be a true test for the drivers for the final event of the season.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT PRO 2 season continues with Round 4 on October 9-10 at Irwindale Speedway. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift and Twitter @FormulaDrift.
Formula DRIFT PRO 2 Standings After Three Rounds
1. Stoneback, Geoff GSR Nissan S14 – 228.50 Points
2. Savage, Dan Sikky Manufacturing Mazda RX-8 – 196.50 Points
3. Lowe, Jeremy Enjuku Racing Mazda RX-7 – 192.00 Points
4. Evans, James Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z – 173.50 Points
5. Hamilton, Nate ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX – 169.00 Points
6. Coffman, Matt Coffman Racing / PSI Nissan S13 – 145.50 Points
7. Jones, Jeff CX Racing Nissan S14 – 138.50 Points
8. Parsons, Will NonStop Tuning AutoComp Racing Toyota AE86 – 122.50 Points
9. Rydquist, Carl Road Race Engineering / Berk Nissan 350Z – 109.00 Points
10. Wicknick, Brandon Driftmotion D-Spare Nissan 2JZ S13 – 103.00 Points
11. Hateley, Andy Hately Motorsports BMW E30 325i – 87.50 Points
12. Wolfson, Tyler GT Radial SAE Motorsport Mazda RX-7 – 86.00 Points
13. Cisneros, Tony 116 Motorsports Nissan 240SX – 86.00 Points
14. Hill, Eric Achilles Radial Fueled Racing 240SX – 74.50 Points
15. Rintanen, Juha Juha Rintanen Motorsport Nissan S14 – 73.00 Points
16. Mertzanis, Dannis ARK Performance Hyundai Genesis Legato AR1 FR-S – 71.50 Points
PRO 2 Round 3 Event Results
1. Wicknick, Brandon Driftmotion D-Spare Nissan 2JZ S13 – Winner
2. Hamilton, Nate ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX – 2nd Place
3. Evans, James Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z – 3rd Place